Now that you have picked a date, a photographer, and a venue, you can celebrate! Those are some of the toughest decisions in wedding planning, and you can cross them off of your list! Hooray!! Now, on to the fun stuff… like your engagement session! Because so many of our couples are from out of town (even out of state), we don’t always get to participate in the engagement session, but we love it when we do!
If you choose to have schedule an engagement session using our photography, you’ll have the chance to get to know me, experience how I shoot, and see how I handle posing and lighting. The best thing about this is that I’ll arrive on your wedding day already knowing how you two interact, what your best poses are, and how to photography you in a genuine way which means less time experimenting and more time getting great photos! What I will learn about you during your engagement session is invaluable. You will feel like a pro on your big day because of the great practice you had during your engagement session, and that’s how it should be!
Your engagement session can be scheduled anytime. I normally suggest planning it for at least 3-6 months in advance to avoid stress and give us time to reschedule if there are weather issues–plus it gives you a chance to use your photos! Because our weekends are filled with weddings, I normally shoot engagement sessions on weekday evenings (although the occasional Sunday is possible, too)
As you start to plan for your engagement shoot, you will need to brainstorm for location ideas–the chapel property is always an option, and our brides and grooms don’t have to worry about fees to rent. I LOVE it when couples pick a location that is special or sentimental to them in some way. If you can’t think of anywhere specific that you would like to shoot, I can help you decide on a location. As long as the light is great, I can make ANY location look awesome! I shoot on farms, campuses, downtown alleys, and even laundry mats. Do not shy away from crazy ideas–the more creative, the better!
It’s always a little intimidating to have your picture taken … even if it’s just a photo on an iPhone that is taken by a friend, we still want to look nice, make sure nothing is in our teeth and that our hair is behaving! I realize that preparing for your engagement session can be a little overwhelming. Here are some tips for outfits and accessories that will make the e-shoot preparation a little more manageable!
* Don’t try to MATCH… try to pick outfits and accessories that coordinate instead. How boring would it be if everything is exactly the same color in your e-shoot?
* Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces, and fun shoes are always welcomed! Layers and texture translate great on camera!
* MOST PATTERNS are actually ok… however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. (You don’t want to look like an advertisement.) If you are wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting.
* Be sure to check out my pinterest boards for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble! And, I have some blog posts with more examples!
* Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have key chains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is usually for the guys!)
* Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfit and then one outfit that is dressier! This will give you two totally different “looks.” I recommend beginning with the dressy outfit!
* Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. And, ladies, if the top is super low cut, that will limit the amount of angles I can shoot from–no one wants their photos to be all cleavage!
* BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And, nobody wants that!
* Clean the ring! I love to shoot a few ring shots while you change outfits! The cleaner the better… (We want lots of sparkles!)
* Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to help you along the way, and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together and make a date out of it. 🙂 Plan dinner afterwards and celebrate!
* This can be a great time to do a trial run with your hair and makeup artist. Having your makeup professionally done can help boost your confidence and will definitely make you “pop” in your photos.